06/27/2019 | News release | Distributed by Public on 06/27/2019 00:37
The final bore for the Coonabarabran Emergency Water supply is now online and providing water into the system.
'Timor Dam bore went online on Friday, 14 June 2019 and is now pumping water into town as well as to connections along Timor Road', said Warrumbungle Shire Council Mayor, Councillor Denis Todd. 'This is the last of seven (7) emergency back-up bores that have been installed to provide secure and sustainable water supply for the Coonabarabran Township.'
'The decision was made to develop this bore following the failure of one of the earlier bores to produce sufficient water, hence why its development is later than the others.'
'Council received a total of $1,717,500 from the NSW State Government, added to a Council contribution of $325,000, for emergency water supply. This fund not only allowed Council to bring seven (7) new emergency water bores online but also enabled Council to reinstate the emergency/dead water storage pump out system in Timor Dam', said Cr Todd.
'We are extremely grateful for the State Government funding which has gone a long way to fund the emergency water scheme.'
'The first of the emergency bores for Coonabarabran came online in May 2018 and at varying stages since then the bores have been the sole provider of water to the town. Currently the town is provided with a mix of bore and river water' said Cr Todd.
'Council engaged a hydrogeologist to undertake a range of tests as well as geophysical logging of all the bore holes. With this advice Council has drilled Timor Dam bore to a depth of 150m and has avoided any aquifers that are already being accessed by private bores previously approved by the Department of Industry - Water', said Cr Todd.
'As there still has been no significant inflow into Timor dam, restriction level in Coonabarabran will have to remain at the current level 4. High users have been contacted and urged to reduce their consumption', concluded Cr Todd.
Last Updated: 27 Jun 2019