The Metropolitan Police

02/14/2018 | News release | Distributed by Public on 02/14/2018 11:32

Man jailed for Finchley murder

A man found guilty of murdering student Seyyed Rast Mir-Feyzi in Finchley last summer, has been jailed for life.

A second man who was found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent in the same case was sentenced to eight years in jail.

Haaris Rana, 22, (17.09.95), of Stainby Close, West Drayton, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 19 years for murder.

Yasir Ibrahim, 22, (30.10.95) of Maddison Close, East Finchley, was sentenced to eight years in prison for attempting to cause grievous bodily harm.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Holmes, from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: 'This was a violent attack with tragic consequences which has had a devastating impact on Mr Mir-Feyzi's family.

'Today's sentencing shows that brutal and vicious attacks like this have strong repercussions and that the full force of the law will be handed down to those that commit these acts.

'It's likely that Rana, who suffers from a brain condition, will spend the rest of his life behind bars. I hope this brings some sort of justice to Mr Mir-Feyzi's family.'

Both men were found guilty by a majority jury at the Old Bailey on Friday, 9 February. They were sentenced at the same court on Wednesday, 14 February.

Police were called at 20:35hrs on 31 May 2017 to reports of a car in collision with a pedestrian in the car park of the Great North Leisure Park off High Road in Finchley.

The victim was assaulted during a fight involving a number of people in the car park. Shortly afterwards the car was deliberately driven at the victim.

Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance attended.

Seyyed was taken by London's Air Ambulance to an east London hospital. He was pronounced dead on 1 June 2017 at 18:00hrs.

A post-mortem examination took place on 5 June 2017 at Northwick Park Hospital Mortuary and gave the cause of death as catastrophic head injury.

The car - a white BMW - was abandoned at the location but Rana and Ibrahim fled the scene heading towards Finchley High Road.

They were arrested on 4 June 2017 and charged two days later.

Seyyed, from North Finchley, had completed his Bachelor of Science degree in computer network security at Westminster Univsersity shortly before his death.

Mr Mir-Feyzi, Seyyed's father, added: 'Since my son's death, the man responsible for his murder has also killed my family and me too. I feel like I have lost a part of my body. Knowing that he can never come back has left me and my wife broken.

'We donated our son's organs and from this, parts of our son live on. Four people have the gift of life because of his death. We were informed that a man in his 30s received one kidney, a female in her 20s received the other, a man in his 30s received his liver and another man in his 40s received our son's heart.

'It is terrible that his life was cut short in such an unnecessary way. He had a future, he wanted to join the Royal Navy or the Police. He had plans; he had an amazing life; he was loved and I know he would have gone on to do great things.'