City of Caribou, ME

04/07/2020 | News release | Distributed by Public on 04/07/2020 11:58


Households that receive help with their rent through the Housing Choice Voucher (aka Section 8) program can move with their rental assistance to any rental unit anywhere in the United States.

The process of moving into the Caribou Housing Agency's jurisdiction, is known as 'porting in.'

Moving from the City to a location outside of the City is known as 'porting out.'

Rental assistance recipients who are thinking about moving should consider:

  • If a participant is in the first year of his or her lease, the move may not be approved.

If a rental assistance recipient would like to move from their current unit, the first step is to submit to his/her assigned Housing Assistant a request to move. H e or she also must submit a notice to move to the landlord, as well as provide a copy to Caribou Housing Agency.

The Housing Specialist will review whether or not the participant is eligible to move according to Housing Agency's policies. If necessary, the Housing Specialist also will request additional information to begin the move process. The rental assistance recipient will be required to submit any pending verification, including a copy of the notice to vacate that was submitted to the landlord to provide appropriate notice of the intent to move.

To qualify to move with their rental assistance either within the City or outside of the City, the rental assistance recipient:

  • Must have been a rental assistance participant for at least 12 months
  • Cannot have moved within that 12-month period
  • Must not be in violation of any program rules
  • Must not have any outstanding payments owed to Caribou Housing Agency