RMT - National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers

10/02/2020 | News release | Distributed by Public on 10/02/2020 02:46

RMT says SERCO had no intention of negotiating settlement this week as first of two 48 hour Sleeper strikes goes ahead on Sunday

RAIL UNION RMT have condemned SERCO for having no intention of negotiating a settlement to the safety and fatigue dispute on the Caledonian Sleeper in talks this week ‎and of locking in the strike action that will now take place from 1730 hours on Sunday.

While RMT entered talks on Wednesday in good faith the company had already pulled the plug on all services and had no intention whatsoever of addressing the serious issues of safety and fatigue at the heart of the dispute.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

'It is a scandal that SERCO appear to have deliberately provoked this dispute and have never had any intention of entering serious talks. Instead of working with the union on a solution to the very real issues of safety and fatigue they have declared war on their staff. That is a scandal.

'It is also wholly unacceptable that the political leadership in Scotland, distracted by the scandal of one of their own travelling on trains while COVID positive, have not lifted a finger to help us settle this dispute. They should get off their backsides and haul SERCO into line.

'Our members on the Caledonian Sleeper, demanding nothing more than a safe working environment, deserve better than this shocking treatment.'