Arcadia University Athletics

02/22/2020 | News release | Distributed by Public on 02/22/2020 16:13

Men's Lacrosse Suffers Overtime Loss to Catholic in Back-and-Forth Thriller, 11-10

GLENSIDE, Pa. - The Arcadia University men's lacrosse team trailed for most of Saturday's matchup with visiting Catholic at Jean Lenox West Field, but a second-half scoring run led by put the Knights out in front, 10-8, with under six minutes remaining in regulation before the Cardinals tied and later won the non-conference matchup in overtime, 11-10. Albertsen finished the day with a team-high three goals - his second hat trick in as many games - while logged five points on a pair of goals and three assists.

and also had two tallies each for the Knights in the effort.

-Catholic stormed out to an early four-goal lead in the first five minutes of the game, but Muscara's first of two tallies at the 7:30 mark of the first quarter halted the Cardinals' scoring run as the Knights faced a three-goal deficit after one.

-After the Cardinals netted the first goal of the second quarter to take a 5-1 lead, the Knights went on to score three-straight times to the end of the half to trail by only one at the break. Manion started the run with a diving, one-handed score in front of the crease before Anderson and found the back of the net while came up with five saves to keep the Cardinals at bay.

-The two sides traded a pair of scores each in the early going of the third quarter as Catholic continued to hold a one-goal advantage. After the Cardinals stretched their lead to two, 8-6, the Knights drew even with the visitors at eight with goals in the final two minutes of the quarter from Anderson on a man-up opportunity and Albertsen.

-The Knights took their first lead of the day on a strike from Albertsen - assisted by - before Manion made it a two-goal game after taking a feed from Muscara in front of the cage and sending one past the goalie. However, Catholic answered to score twice within a minute to bring the two sides to a 10-all tie.

-Arcadia was awarded a man-up opportunity in the final minute on a Catholic slashing penalty, but Sporer's attempt at the game-winner was met with a save. Catholic had one last opportunity to net the game-winner on the other end, but Fyock came up with a huge save to send the game to overtime. After winning the opening faceoff, the Cardinals were able to come away with the deciding goal on their first possession to down the Knights, 11-10.

-Goals: Albertsen 3 (8), Manion 2 (3), Muscara 2 (14), Anderson 2 (5)
-Assists: Manion 3 (10)
-Points: Manion 5 (13)
-Ground Balls: Crawford 6
-Causes Turnovers: Crawford 4
-Saves: Fyock 15

-Catholic held the edge in shots, 44-31, and shots on goal, 26-20.
-The Knights caused 18 Catholic turnovers, led by Crawford's four.
-Arcadia finished the day 21-of-26 on clear opportunities, while Catholic was 15-of-19.
-The Cardinals won the faceoff battle, 16-8.

Arcadia (2-1) returns to action Saturday to host Delaware Valley at 4 p.m.