Ministry of Defence of the Italian Republic

01/10/2018 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 01/11/2018 09:18

Solbiate Olona (Northern Italy) - NATO: Italy Takes the Lead of NRF Land Component

The Transfer of Command Ceremony between NATO Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC), led by Gen. Tim Radford, and Nato Rapid Deployable Corps - Italy (NRDC-ITA), under the lead of Gen. Roberto Perretti, has taken place today at the'Ugo Mara' Barracks, Solbiate Olona

‚Äč

Today the ceremony that has officialized the transfer of command of NATO Response Force (NRF) Land Component has taken place at Solbiate Olona 'Ugo MARA' Barracks. Gen. Tim Radford, Commander Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC), has handed command over to Gen. Roberto Perretti, Commander Nato Rapid Deployable Corps - Italy (NRDC-ITA).

The ceremony was attended by Army Chief Gen. Danilo Errico, Commander Join Allied Operations Command-Brunssum (the Netherlands), Gen. Salvatore Farina, and Commander Allied Land Command (LANDCOM) Gen. Darryl A. Williams.

NRDC-ITA has thus assumed the lead of Nato Response Force Land Component for the fourth time.

On the occasion of exercise 'Brilliant Ledger 2017' NRDC has concluded a 1-year training and preparation programme to get its 'combat ready' certification. The exercise - conducted in Solbiate Olona and Bellinzago Novarese, in Northern Italy- saw the participation of over 1,000 military from 15 NATO countries, and 85 Italian Armed Forces units.

NATO Rapid Deployable Corps - Italy is a multinational command located at Solbiate Olona (VA), under the lead of Supreme Allied Commander- Europe (SACEUR). Italy is its lead nation, providing 75% of its personnel. The remaining 25% is made up of soldiers from 12 different nations: Albania, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States and Hungary. All together, they provide approximately 400 troops. Very soon other 4 nations - Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania- will join the Command, taking the number of contributing countries up to 17.

NATO Response Force, established in 2002, was reinforced in 2014, on the basis of decisions taken during NATO Wales Summit, with the addition of a Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF), a modular force characterized by very high flexibility.