03/01/2018 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 03/01/2018 11:09
What: ESCWA marks International Women's Day.
When: Tuesday 6 March 2018, at 10:30 am.
Where:UN House, Riad el-Solh Square, Beirut.
Since those early years, International Women's Day has assumed a new global dimension for women in developed and developing countries alike. The growing international women's movement, which has been strengthened by four global United Nations women's conferences, has helped make the commemoration a rallying point to build support for women's rights and participation in the political and economic arenas.
Participants in the opening session:
- Ms. Nadia El Cheikh (Ph.D.), Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, American University of Beirut (AUB), Representative of AUB President, in opening remarks;
- Mohamed Ali Alhakim (Ph.D.), Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of ESCWA.
Mistress of ceremonies: Media personality Ms. Gisele Khoury in a special appearance.
- Musical performance by renowned Moroccan singer Ms. Karima Skalli, accompanied by musicians from the Lebanese National Orchestra;
- Statement by Mr. Abed Fahed, renowned Syrian Actor;
- Launch of the Women's Market.
A roundtable discussion will be held on the sidelines of the event in Boustani Auditorium, American University of Beirut (AUB)Campus with the following participants:
- Mr. Khalil Zaarour, Lebanese movie director;
- Ms. Mariam Naoum, Egyptian screenwriter;
- Ms. Nadine Khan, Egyptian movie director;
- Ms. Sahar Assaf, Lebanese theater actress and director;
- Ms. Waha Al-Raheb, Syrian actress and filmmaker;
- Ms. Zeina Daccache, Lebanese theater actress and director.
Roundtable's moderator: Media personality Ms. Gisele Khoury.
'Lazem in 2018' Campaign
The event also features a campaign entitled 'Lazem in 2018' that was launched thanks to a partnership between ESCWA and the AUB Asfari Institute for Civil Society and Citizenship. The 'Lazem in 2018' campaign pays tribute to women who have initiated transformative change within their countries of the Arab region. It consists of a series of short videos of pioneering women that will be shared through 5 March on ESCWA Twitter and Facebook platforms (@UNESCWA).
The ESCWA Communication and Information Unit (ECIU) kindly request media representatives wishing to attend this meeting to confirm their attendance on the following numbers in order to facilitate their access: +96170008879 | +96170827372 | +96170079021
For more information:
Nabil Abu-Dargham +961-70-99 31 44; email: [email protected] (link sends e-mail)
Ms Rania Harb: +961-70-008879 [email protected](link sends e-mail)
Ms Mirna Mahfouz: +961-70-827372 [email protected](link sends e-mail)
Mr Haidar Fahs: +961-70-079021 [email protected](link sends e-mail)