07/18/2019 | News release | Distributed by Public on 07/18/2019 08:28
Pig Ear Dog Treat Salmonella
UNITED STATES - As reported in an online news article published by www.foodsafetynews.com, a multi-state outbreak of multidrug-resistant salmonella has resulted in a recall of certain pig ear dog treats.
Federal and state authorities are investigating a widespread multidrug-resistant salmonella outbreak that has reached 13 states and caused 45 people to become ill. The salmonella outbreak may be linked to certain pig ear dog treats. The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development tested pig ear dog treats that were found to be contaminated with salmonella.
While the specific strain of salmonella found in these dog treats is not the same strain that has caused so many people to become ill recently, there is still a belief that the contaminated pig ear dog treats may be linked to a widespread salmonella outbreak.
As such, Pet Supplies Plus, the distributor of the pig ear dog treats that tested positive for salmonella contamination, has issued a recall of all its bulk pig ear products that are sold at stores throughout the United States. Given the widespread nature of the salmonella outbreak following announcements from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more products may be subject to recall in the near future.
Exposure to salmonella can sicken not only the dogs ingesting the pig ear treats but also pet owners who are handling the pig ears (especially if pet owners do not wash their hands after giving the treats to their dogs). Pet owners concerned about whether their dogs may have been infected with salmonella should look out for the following signs/behaviors: lethargy, diarrhea which may have blood, vomiting, fever, abdominal pain, and decreased appetite. Infected dogs have the potential to infect other animals and humans. Therefore, concerns about potential salmonella infection should be addressed right away, regardless of whether a pet owner or a pet has become ill.