01/17/2020 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 01/17/2020 09:08
Broadcast time: 09:30
Friday, January 17, 2020
Case #: 2019-2422991
On Monday, December 16, 2019, at approximately 3:30 p.m., police responded to a call for a collision at Oakwood Avenue and Rosemount Avenue.
See excerpt from previous news release:
It is reported that:
- a Toronto Fire Services emergency response vehicle was travelling north on Oakwood Avenue, with the lights and sirens activated, to an emergency fire call
- the fire truck approached Rosemount Avenue, which is controlled by a pedestrian crossover
- as the fire truck approached, an 11-year-old girl was crossing west across Oakwood Avenue, in the crosswalk
- the front of the fire truck struck the girl
- First Aid was immediately provided by Toronto Fire Services
The girl was transported to hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries. She is still recovering in hospital.
With the cooperation of the Toronto Fire Services, and in consultation with Provincial Prosecutors, members of Traffic Services have completed the investigation into this collision.
As a result, the Toronto Firefighter operating the fire truck has been charged under the Highway Traffic Act with:
1. Careless Driving Causing Bodily Harm
2. Pass Stopped Vehicle at Crossover
The next court date is Thursday, February 20, 2020, at 1:30 p.m., at Old City Hall.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.