02/17/2017 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 02/17/2017 13:39
Education Department Recognizes 2017 Career and Technical Education Excellence Awards
Hershey, PA - The Pennsylvania Department of Education awarded 13 Pennsylvania schools with Career and Technical Education (CTE) Excellence Awards at an event in Hershey this week.
The awards were presented to the schools by deputy secretary for elementary and secondary education, Matthew Stem, at an event during the Pathways to Career Readiness: An Education and Workforce Development Symposium.
'Pennsylvania's business, industry, and education leaders recognize there is no single path to success after high school,' Education Secretary Pedro A. Rivera said. 'Schools are preparing students for the high-tech, high-skill, and in demand careers here in the commonwealth. The programs that the Department of Education is recognizing with this award of excellence are preparing Pennsylvania students for success, and ensuring our state's workforce is strong.'
To qualify for a CTE Excellence Award a school must have an approved CTE program, and have at least 75 percent of its students who participate in the NOCTI or NIMS exams achieve a score at the advanced level. NOCTI and NIMS are the assessment providers that assess student technical competence.
The 2017 recipients of the Pennsylvania Department of Education's Career and Technical Excellence Awards are:
· Admiral Peary AVTS, Cambria County
· Berks Career and Technology Center-East Campus
· Berks Career and Technology Center-West Campus
· Central High School, Spring Cove School District, Blair County
· Clarion County Career Center
· Franklin Learning Center, Philadelphia
· Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center
· Indiana County Technology Center
· McGuffey High School, McGuffey School District, Washington County
· Milton High School, Milton Area School District, Northumberland County
· Northern Lebanon Senior High School
· Parkway West Career and Technology Center
· Upper Bucks County Technical High School
Earlier this month, the Pennsylvania's House of Representatives officially designated February 2017 as 'Career and Technical Education Month' in Pennsylvania.
MEDIA CONTACT: Nicole Reigelman - 717-783-9802
# # #