04/16/2018 | News release | Distributed by Public on 04/15/2018 23:32
16 April 2018
Ms Carolyn Tremain
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
By email: [email protected]
Tēnā koe Ms Tremain
REQUEST UNDER THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT
The Petroleum Exploration and Production Association of New Zealand (PEPANZ) is the industry association representing the upstream oil and gas sector.
PEPANZ has not traditionally made requests under the Official Information Act 1982. However, we make this request in light of our serious concern about the Government's unexpected decision to ban new offshore petroleum exploration permits, including the manner in which it appears to have been made.
We request all advice from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment to Ministers of the Crown or other Government Departments, from the period starting 1 February 2018 to today's date, that relates to:
1. the allocation of petroleum permits,
2. the existing rights of petroleum permit holders,
3. how ceasing new petroleum exploration and production in New Zealand may affect the domestic and global emission profiles,
4. the risk of 'carbon leakage', including draft briefings or aide-memoires where those drafts were materially different to final advice on this matter,
5. the economic effects of ceasing new exploration and production in New Zealand,
6. the effect of ending offshore exploration on future energy supply, including estimates on remaining reserves of natural gas, and
7. Methanex and its use of gas and role in the gas market.
For your information, we have also made similar requests for Official Information to:
• the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet,
• the Environmental Protection Authority,
• the Ministry for the Environment,
• the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and
• the Treasury.
Nāku noa, nā
Cameron Madgwick Chief Executive Officer