01/13/2022 | News release | Distributed by Public on 01/13/2022 20:14
1. Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Communications and Information of Singapore, Ms Yong Ying-I and the Secretary General, Ministry of Communications and Multimedia of Malaysia, Dato' Sri Haji Mohammad bin Mentek co-chaired the virtual 5th Joint Committee Meeting (JCM) on Information and Communications Co-operation between the Government of the Republic of Singapore and the Government of Malaysia on 13 January 2022.
2. Hosted by Singapore, and building on discussions from the previous meeting in 2020, this iteration of the JCM had a strong digital theme. Ms Yong and Dato' Sri Mohammad discussed digital transformation efforts in their respective countries, and explored areas where bilateral digital co-operation could advance post-pandemic recovery.
3. Both parties discussed issues relating to enabling trusted data flows between the two countries, and to better connecting the respective innovation and technology ecosystems to support businesses and start-ups. In addition, both are committed to implementing projects to demonstrate the benefits of co-operation in this rapidly developing digital domain to support the recovery of our respective economies.
4. In addition, the JCM also discussed how media production, distribution and consumption are being disrupted by technologies and online platforms, including growing volumes of information and the rapid spread of falsehoods.
5. Ms Yong said, "The JCM is a platform of increasing importance, to deepen the bilateral co-operation between Singapore and Malaysia. The pandemic has driven many companies to digitally transform and seize new opportunities. Through the JCM, we have initiated meaningful digital co-operation projects to increase the adoption and interoperability of digital technologies in both countries. Our collaboration will serve as a springboard to enhance connectivity between our businesses and people, and to support our recovery from the pandemic."
6. Dato' Sri Mohammad highlighted, "Malaysia continues to embrace digital technology and develop unique technologies and business models to assist the country in establishing new development engines. With the growth of the digital economy, the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and ever-evolving technology, Malaysia looks forward to explore potential collaboration in this sector in the future. Malaysia is stepping up efforts to assist Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (MSMEs) and business owners in adopting digital technology, and will continue to advance plans to establish an inclusive and progressive digital economy for all."
7. Malaysia will host the 6th JCM by the end of the year 2022. Malaysia is scheduled to host the 14th Muzika Ekstravaganza during the 6th JCM. Muzika Ekstravaganza is an annual variety co-production by Malaysia's Radio Television Malaysia (RTM) and Singapore's Mediacorp.
Ministry of Communications and Multimedia, Malaysia
Ministry of Communications and Information, Singapore