07/22/2020 | News release | Distributed by Public on 07/22/2020 10:30
Germany has fully lifted the entry ban within the EU and Schengen area as well as some countries. Furthermore, highly skilled employees and assignees, if their work is economically relevant and urgent, as well as family members from all other countries can travel to Germany again.
1. Restrictions fully waived for 8 countries Germany now grants entry for the following countries, so called green listed, with low levels of infection (irrespective of the reason for travels):
- Australia, Canada, Georgia, New Zealand, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay
The new regulation applies for residents of the above countries, no matter whether they hold the citizenship of this country or another citizenship. The list of countries with low levels of infection will be updated every 2 weeks. Travellers from China, Japan and South Korea will be granted unconditional entry only when the respective country grants reciprocal entry options as well.
2. New travel possibilities have been created for certain employment related travel for travellers outside of the EU:
- Blue Card and highly skilled employees with recognised / comparable academic degree - local work contract only
- Skilled employee with vocational training accredited in Germany
- Researchers and scientists
- Intra-Company-Transfers (ICT and national program)
- IT-Specialists without academic training but with work experience and knowledge of German
- Seasonal workers in agriculture and
- University students unless their course of study can be attended remotely.
- under the condition, that
➢ that the foreign national is needed to be present in Germany, the work cannot be performed from aboard
➢ the employment is necessary for economic development,
➢ and the start date cannot be reasonably postponed.
The information contained in this guide is current as of July 2020 and is offered for information purposes only.
3. Visa waiver program: Individuals eligible for visa free travel for employment purposes under the visa waiver program (citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, South Korea and the US, that can apply for a work/residence permit in Germany after arrival) departing from a country not green listed are advised to contact the nearest German mission abroad at the place of their residence to obtain a consular declaration of travel entitlement.
4. Re-opening schedule for German Missions around the world German Missions and their visa sections around the world will open up again to service the newly eligible traveller groups mentioned above. Please expect uneven opening policies and quickly changing document requirements. Please also bear in mind that even with a visa issued, the Federal Police may review entry eligibility again with its own discretion.
Legal notice / Disclaimer
The information contained in this guide is current as of July 2020 and is offered strictly for information purposes only. Nothing in this guide is intended to nor should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a legal opinion or otherwise offer any advice which is capable of being relied upon. Santa Fe does not and is not able to guarantee the outcome or approval of any particular immigration application.
This guide contains information on topics which are subject to legal, governmental and/or regulatory rule and authority. No warranty, representation or any other assurance is made that the content of this guide is true, accurate and complete. Law and regulation, especially concerning rules related to immigration and visa policy or availability, remains subject to change on short notice and constantly evolves over time. The information provided in this guide is, at best, of a general nature and is not intended to nor should be relied upon as a substitute for the advice of an appropriately qualified professional and/or competent government authority with specialised knowledge who can apply it to the particular circumstances of your case.
To read more immigration updates, click here
About our Immigration Services
Our immigration services manage thousands of visa applications every year for a multitude of international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.