02/14/2020 | News release | Distributed by Public on 02/14/2020 21:38
was outstanding for the Knights, throwing three scoreless innings with six strikeouts and no hits allowed. Freshman also played an essential role for Arcadia, picking up the victory with one strikeout and one hit allowed in three innings of relief. started the game for the Knights, lasting three innings with three earned runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights threatened in the second inning, putting two runners in scoring position with two outs. started it off for the Knights with an infield single, while laced a double to the left-center field gap. However, Arcadia was unable to cash in on the opportunity.
- Methodist doubled to lead off the second inning. Following a sacrafice bunt and a walk, the Monarchs' runner came around to score on a fielders choice to plate the game's first run, 1-0.
- Following a 1-2-3 top of the third, the Monarchs plated two more runs on two doubles and a single to pull ahead 3-0.
- Costaro retired the Monarchs in order for the fifth and sixth innings. The freshman induced three ground balls in the fifth, while earning his first career strikeout to open his final inning of work.
- Arcadia propelled themselves to victory with a four-run seventh inning. worked a walk to lead off the frame, while Massielo reached base with his second hit to put a runner in scoring position. Smolen then reached on a bunt single, which was followed by a throwing error from the catcher - allowing the Knights to plate their first run of the afternoon, 3-1. One batter later, Massielo touched home plate following a wild pitch to pull within one run.
- Later in the seventh inning, knotted the game with a perfectly placed sacrifice bunt with two strikes, allowing Smolen to score from third base. With the bases loaded and two outs, was hit by a pitch to plate the go-ahead run, 4-3.
- Blake was lights out in his three innings of work. The senior tossed a 1-2-3 seventh inning, then navigated out of a jam to escape the eighth inning. Blake capped off his exceptional season debut with two strikeouts to open the ninth inning, followed by a fly out to seal the victory for Arcadia.
ARCADIA OFFENSIVE LEADERS
Massielo - 2-for-5, one run
Smolen - 2-for-4, one run
Towey - RBI, one walk
Sekelick - RBI
ARCADIA PITCHING LEADERS
Costaro (W, 1-0) - 3.0 IP, 0 ER, 1 K, 2 H
Blake (SV, 1) - 3.0 IP, 0 ER, 6 Ks, 0 H
The Knights (1-0) return to action tomorrow versus Bridgewater College at the Diamond Invitational.