08/14/2019 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 08/14/2019 03:45
14 Aug. 2019
Q2 2019 saw the launch of the 2019 .eu Web Awards, the strengthening of our efforts to fight online fraud in cooperation with EUIPO and the contribution to environmental initiatives.
Developments throughout the quarter also included:
- EURid and European Commission Service Concession Contract extended until 12 October 2022;
- EURid contributed to the Monchique reforestation in Portugal and the Uganda Borehole projects to offset its CO2 emissions;
- ICANN announced the completion of the string evaluation for the IDN ccTLD 'ευ' (xn--qxa6a), .eu in Greek.
The quarter ended with a total of 3 623 691.eu registrations. Other statistical highlights include:
- 164 906 new domain name registrations were recorded;
- Ireland tops the list of top growth countries at +18% growth;
- The average renewal rate was 82.3%, up 4% since Q1.
Q2 confirmed to be strong on renewal rate as the .eu domain name registration was launched in April 2006, that is also the month when the majority of .eu domain names were registered. The renewal rate of Q2 shows that the original registrants continue to rely on their .eu domain names.
For further details, consult the full EURid's Q2 2019 Progress Report.