The Metropolitan Police

05/25/2018 | News release | Distributed by Public on 05/25/2018 06:48

Man jailed following East Finchley stabbing

A man has been found guilty of murder following a fatal stabbing in East Finchley.

Joseph Tripp, 35 (23.02.83) of Sylvester Road, N2 was found guilty at the Old Bailey on Thursday, 24 May of the murder of 55-year-old Derek McAllister.

He was sentenced to 21 years' imprisonment on Friday, 25 May.

Derek's daughter, Collette McAllister, said: 'It has been a long haul, but justice has prevailed and we've finally got the result that my father deserved. We will never come to terms with losing our father in this way, but we finally have some closure now. I would like to thank the police, the prosecution team and my family for helping us through this tough two-and-a-half years.'

Police were called at approximately 15:10hrs on 30 December 2015 to reports of a man assaulted on High Road, near to the junction with Huntingdon Road, in East Finchley.

Mr McAllister was taken to hospital for treatment to a stab injury by a passing member of public who stopped to help. He died of his injuries in hospital on 13 January 2016.

A post-mortem examination was held at Northwick Park Hospital on 15 January 2016 and gave the cause of death as a stab wound to the abdomen.

Officers established that Mr McAllister and Tripp had been involved in a minor argument inside a local bookmaker shop approximately ten minutes before the attack.

Mr McAllister left the shop and was followed by Tripp, who stopped at a hardware store to purchase a £10, eight-inch carving knife - the largest on display.

CCTV cameras captured Tripp unwrap the knife at a bus stop whilst he watched Mr McAllister, who was standing across the road.

Tripp crossed the road, using passing traffic to hide his presence. He ran towards Mr McAllister and stabbed him in the back before fleeing with the knife.

Officers recovered the knife's packaging which had Tripp's fingerprints on it.

Tripp was subsequently arrested and subsequently charged with murder.

Detective Sergeant Bryan Field, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: 'This has been a long and hard wait for justice for Derek McAllister's family but I am happy with today's result.

'I would like to thank the local community for all their help both on the day of the attack but also with their continued help and support in securing evidence and identifying witnesses in this case.

'The investigation demonstrates how the Met works tirelessly to ensure that those responsible for violent knife attacks on our streets are brought to justice.'