11/20/2023 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 11/20/2023 14:17
The Permanent Council of the Organization of American States (OAS) will hold a special meeting on Climate Change TOMORROW, Tuesday, November 21 at 10:00 EST (15:00 GMT) in the Simon Bolivar room at OAS headquarters in Washington, DC.
In an alarming revelation, the latest UN Emissions Gap Report forecasts a catastrophic future: by 2030, if current trends persist, greenhouse gas emissions will skyrocket, breaking through the critical 1.5-degree ceiling set by successive COP summits. This threshold is globally recognized as the tipping point beyond which our planet faces irreversible climate disaster. The projected emissions are expected to equal the current combined annual outputs of three of the world's largest emitters.
The meeting of the Permanent Council, convened under the leadership of its Chairman, Sir Ronald Sanders, Ambassador of Antigua and Barbuda, will address the devastating impact of climate change across the Americas. A panel of distinguished experts will emphasize the urgency for a unified stance at the upcoming COP28 in Dubai, and point the way towards confronting the greatest challenge of our generation.
The meeting will include the participation of:
• The Executive Director, Global Women Leaders Voices for Change and Inclusion, María Fernanda Espinoza,
• The Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council and Director for Strategic Partnerships, Latin America at the Nature Conservancy, Isabel Studer Noguez,
• The President of the Caribbean Development Bank, Hyginus 'Gene' Leon,
• The Senior Advisor to the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate of United States, Trigg Talley,
• The Chief of the Climate Change Section at the Department of Sustainable Development, Secretariat for Integral Development of the OAS, Rubén Contreras.
Please consult the agenda of the meeting here. Note that changes to the agenda may yet be made before the meeting.
The meeting will be broadcast live - with interpretation in Spanish, English, French and Portuguese- on the OAS Website and the OAS Facebook page
Press Contact: Mónica Reyes ([email protected])
WHAT: OAS Permanent Council to Hold Special Meeting on Climate Change
WHEN: Tuesday, November 21 at 10:00 EST (15:00 GMT)
WHERE: Simon Bolivar room, Organization of American States. 17th Street & Constitution Avenue NW Washington, DC 20006.