PGA Tour Inc.

02/27/2021 | News release | Distributed by Public on 02/27/2021 11:08

Tiger Woods ‘in good spirits’ after follow-up procedures

Update on February 26:

LOS ANGELES - Tiger Woods is 'recovering and in good spirits' after receiving further procedures on the injuries he suffered in a single-car accident earlier this week.

Woods underwent unspecified follow-up procedures at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after being transported from the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center on Wednesday night.

Cedars-Sinai has catered to professional athletes on numerous occasions due to a renowned Sports Medicine Institute and a rehabilitation program for sports-related and orthopedic injuries.

'Tiger has moved to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and received follow-up procedures on his injuries this morning. The procedures were successful, and he is now recovering and in good spirits,' a statement on Woods' twitter account said.

'Tiger and his family want to thank you all for the wonderful support and messages they have received over the past few days. We will not have any further updates at this time. Thank you for your continued privacy.'

RELATED:TOUR players, sports world, celebrities wish Woods well

Update on February 24:

Tiger Woods suffered significant injuries to his right leg and remains hospitalized after a single-car accident in Rancho Palos Verdes on Tuesday morning.

The 82-time PGA TOUR winner underwent surgery after suffering comminuted open fractures to the upper and lower sections of his right leg along with significant trauma to his ankle.

'As previously communicated, Tiger was involved in a single-car accident earlier (Tuesday) morning in California. He has undergone a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle after being brought to the hospital,' a statement on Woods' Twitter account from the TGR foundation team read, before passing on an update on his condition from the hospital.

'Mr. Woods suffered significant orthopedic injuries to his right lower extremity that were treated during emergency surgery by Orthopedic trauma specialists at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, a level one trauma center,' Dr. Anish Mahajan, Chief Medical Officer & Interim CEO at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center added.

'Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle was stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.'

The statement closed by confirming Woods is in recovery.

'He's currently awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room. Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department and the Fire Department. Your support and assistance has been outstanding.

'There are no further updates at this time and we continue to thank you for your well-wishes and privacy for him and his family.'

Woods, who was in town to host The Genesis Invitational last week, was driving alone in an SUV when his vehicle rolled over while traveling northbound on Hawthorne Boulevard, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said via statement earlier Tuesday.

'On February 23, 2021, at approximately 7:12 AM LASD responded to a single vehicle roll-over traffic collision on the border of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes. The vehicle was traveling northbound on Hawthorne Boulevard at Blackhorse Road, when it crashed. The vehicle sustained major damage,' the statement read in part.

'The driver and sole occupant was identified as PGA (TOUR) golfer Eldrick 'Tiger' Woods. Mr. Woods was extricated from the wreck … then transported to a local hospital by ambulance for his injuries.'

The Sheriff's Department said Woods was conscious when first responders reached his side and was calm and lucid. He was extricated with the help of a Halligan tube (pry bar) and an axe to get him through the front windshield before being transported to the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

'He was alive, and he was conscious. There was no evidence of impairment at the scene,' Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Deputy Carlos Gonzalez, the first to respond to the scene, confirmed Woods was wearing his seatbelt.

'The fact that he was wearing his seatbelt, I would say, it greatly increased the likelihood it saved his life.' Gonzalez said.

PGA TOUR commissioner Jay Monahan said the entire TOUR community had Woods' well-being in their thoughts.

'We have been made aware of Tiger Woods' car accident today. We are awaiting further information when he comes out of surgery. On behalf of the PGA TOUR and our players, Tiger is in our prayers and will have our full support as he recovers,' Monahan said via statement.

The 45-year-old Woods stayed back after the tournament to film GOLFTV content that included giving celebrities golf lessons - actors David Spade and Jada Pinkett Smith were among those who tweeted about their encounters on Monday prior to the accident.

On Sunday Woods told the CBS broadcast he was unsure of when he would return from his recent back surgery, a fifth such procedure since April 2017. The last time he played competitive golf was with his son Charlie in December's PNC Championship.

'I'm feeling fine,' Woods said Sunday. 'I'm a little bit stiff. I have one more MRI scheduled so that we'll see if the annulus (fibrosus) is scarred over finally and see if I can start doing more activities. But still in the gym, still doing the mundane stuff that you have to do for rehab, the little things before I can start gravitating towards something a little more.'