04/19/2021 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 04/19/2021 09:00
The Group has been awarded Investors in the Environment green level accreditation.
The Group was awarded an 'Investors in the Environment' Green Award - the highest level of accreditation - for demonstrating its commitment to protecting the environment. BGL first secured bronze accreditation in March last year.
To achieve green accreditation, organisations must make strict resource savings each year. Other criteria include having a recycling system in place, adopting a travel plan, calculating a carbon footprint and setting targets for carbon reduction.
BGL's achievements include:
• Reducing carbon emissions by 36 per cent
• Using environmentally-friendly and sustainable products or services
• Reducing printing by 50 per cent and paper usage by 20 per cent
• Supporting colleagues working from home and in the office to reduce their energy consumption and promoting green travel
• Giving colleagues the tools to make healthier, greener choices such as an online hub detailing the best cycleways and walks in Peterborough, as well as meat free recipes
Sean Melia, Director of Business Services at BGL Group, said: 'We are immensely proud of this achievement. This award recognises the superb efforts of our facilities team alongside our environmental champions, enabling the organisation to be greener and more sustainable on an ongoing basis.
'While lockdown contributed to the reduction in our energy usage, this should not detract from the focus we have had on achieving this target. We have taken the opportunity to analyse where we use our energy most when buildings are not in use. Things like unnecessary lighting, heating and equipment have all been identified as opportunities.
'We now have a responsibility to maintain and drive continuous sustainability as an organisation, and the team will spend some time re-focusing on their plans for the months ahead.'