09/26/2023 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 09/26/2023 07:45
R 261200Z SEP 23
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC DCI WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/MARINE CORPS MICROSOFT WINDOWS 11 ADOPTION AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS//
REF/B/TA/TECHNICAL ATTACHMENT WINDOWS 11 AAO BREAKOUT//
REF/C/DOC/DON-230316-5RDM, END USER DEVICES WITH MCEDS ARE DOMAIN JOINED UPON DELIVERY//
REF/D/DOC/USMC MODIFICATION INSTRUCTION, ENTERPRISE DESKTOP STANDARD WINDOWS 11 SECURE HOST BASELINE IMAGE FOR WINDOWS-BASED END USER DEVICES (EUD), 31 JUL 23//
NARR/REF (A) IS MARADMIN DIRECTING USMC MIGRATION TO WINDOWS 11 (WIN11) NO LATER THAN (NLT) 16 JUN 2025. REF (B) is the WIN 11 AAO BREAKOUT. REF (C) PROVIDES GUIDANCE ON HOW TO TRANSFER EUDS FROM THE ENTERPRISE STAGING AND DELIVERY ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT (OU) TO THE OWNING UNITS OU. REF (D) PROVIDES INSTRUCTION FOR THE INSTALLATION OF THE MARINE CORPS ENTERPRISE DESKTOP STANDARD WIN11 SECURE HOST BASELINE IMAGE TO ALL MARINE CORPS WINDOWS-BASED PRINCIPAL END ITEM EUDS IN SUPPORT OF THE MARINE CORPS UNIFICATION PLAN UNDER THE "SINGLE IMAGE" LINE OF EFFORT//
POC/TREVOR DANIEL/CIV/DC I/IC4/ICN/TEL: 571-256-9082/EMAIL: [email protected]//
POC/CHRISTOPHER JAMISON/LTCOL/MARFORCYBER/G-36/TEL: 667-812-6443/EMAIL: [email protected]//
POC/TORWON MITCHELL/CIV/EUS PDM/PEO DIGITAL PFM MCSES/TEL: 703-432-7917/EMAIL: [email protected]//
POC/BRADLEY D. COOK/MAJ/DC I&L LPS/TEL: 571-256-7112/EMAIL: [email protected]//
POC/RODDY STATEN/CIV/DC I/IC4/ICC CY/TEL: 571-256-8875/NIPR EMAIL: [email protected]/SIPR EMAIL: [email protected]//
POC/OURIS PELLEGRIN/CIV/DC IL/LP/LPM/TEL: (571) 256-7174/EMAIL: [email protected]//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. Purpose. The purpose of this message is to outline the actions required to ensure successful migration to WIN11 and the expeditious decommissioning and disposal of legacy EUDs.
2. Situation. Per ref (a), the United States Marine Corps (USMC) must transition to WIN11 NLT 14 October 2025. The USMC will accomplish this task via a WIN11 Operating System (OS) in place load pushed to network connected WIN11 Compliant EUDs. EUDs that cannot support WIN11 OS will be replaced via tech refresh of hardware procured by Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC) and Program Executive Office (PEO)-Digital. WIN11 migration applies to all providers delivering EUDs e.g., Aviation, Logistics, Intel and all Command and Control and other Program of Record (POR) systems. Commanders and service owners are responsible as defined below.
3. Mission. In accordance with ref (A), Department of Defense Chief Information Officer (DoD CIO) directs all service components to plan, resource, and execute the migration from Microsoft WIN10 to WIN11 in advance of WIN10 End-Of-Support (EOS) date 14 October 2025.
4.A. Commander's Intent
4.A.1. Accountability and speed of action are key elements in order for commanders to have real time awareness of asset tracking, and in order to (IOT) optimize warranty coverage and realize full return on investment for the WIN11 EUDs being fielded. Fleet Marine Force and Supporting Establishment coordination is essential to make best use of available resources and achieve unity of effort to meet timeline and migration milestones.
4.A.2. Legacy EUDs shall not remain on the Marine Corps Enterprise Network (MCEN) and shall not be repurposed to another network. Units must decommission and dispose of all End of Life/EOS EUDs per refs (C) and ref (D).
4.B.1.A. Execute operational command and control of USMC WIN11 migration in coordination with Depute Commandant for Information (DC I) and PEO Digital.
4.B.1.B. As of 14 October 2025, be prepared to isolate MCEN non-transitioned EUDs, to include POR EUDs, for which no approved Plan of Action and Milestones has been submitted.
4.B.2.A. Based on published fielding plans commanders will coordinate with U.S. Marine Corps Forces Cyberspace Command for those EUDs not meeting the 14 October 2025 date. Acceptable responses will include identification of Long-Term Servicing Channel option for POR EUDs.
4.B.3. DC I, Information, Command, Control, Communications and Computers
4.B.3.A. Maintain metrics on WIN11 transition progress and report to leadership as required.
4.B.4. Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC)/PEO Digital/PEO for Manpower, Logistics and Business Solutions/PEO Land Systems.
4.B.4.A. Publish Fielding Plans by phase and Table of Authorized Material Control Number ensuring distribution to receiving units prior to shipping.
4.B.4.B. Ensure EUDs are properly accounted for in Global Combat Support System-Marine Corps and marked with WIN11 compliance to include primary end items or components of systems in accordance with the published Modification Instruction per ref (D).
4.B.4.C. Optimize automated reporting capabilities to provide commanders WIN11 migration situational awareness and feedback opportunity to the service for coordination and rapid adjustments.
4.B.4.D. Ensure all POR EUDs connected to the MCEN running the Microsoft Windows OS have the Windows endpoint compatibility check benchmark installed IOT report status to the Continuous Monitoring and Risk Scoring website per DoD CIO requirements.
4.B.5. Deputy Commandant, Combat Development and Integration
4.B.5.A. Support reconciliation of AAO's within Total Force Structure Management System with commanders and validate and oversee MCSC shipment plans in support of commander's AAO's.
5. Administration and Logistics. Refer questions to the point of contacts listed above.
6. Command and Signal.
7. Reporting shall commence upon release of this message. Stakeholders and organizational units should refer to the following URL. https:(slash)(slash)app.mil.powerbigov.us/groups/bd9d37f7-2b51-4923-b799-bae98b92bc0a/reports/040967fb-7fc2-4d67-aa38-7e9d9b6f16a2/ReportSectionf3c80fcd0e5d900c47be.
8. Release authorized by LtGen M. G. Glavy, Headquarters Marine Corps, Deputy Commandant for Information.//