04/12/2022 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 04/12/2022 06:20
1. The Extraordinary Summit of the Organ Troika of the Heads of State and Government of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) plus SADC Mission in Mozambique (SAMIM) Personnel Contributing Countries (PCCs) and the Republic of Mozambique, hereafter designated as Summit, was held virtually on 12th April, 2022.
2. Summit was officially opened and chaired by His Excellency Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
3. Summit was attended by the following SADC Heads of State and Government or their representatives:
South Africa: H.E. President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
Namibia: H.E. President Dr. Hage G. Geingob, President of the Republic of Namibia and Incoming Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
Angola: H.E. President João Manuel Gonçalves Lourenço
Democratic Republic of Congo H.E. President Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo
Mozambique: H.E President Filipe Jacinto Nyusi
Zimbabwe: H.E. President Dr. Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa
Lesotho: H.E. the Right Honourable Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro
Malawi: Hon. Nancy Tembo, Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republic of Tanzania: Hon. Dr. Stergomena L. Tax Minister of Defense and National Services
Zambia: Hon. Mulambo Haimbe, Minister of Justice and Acting Minister of Defense
4. In attendance were members of the Troika of the Ministerial Committee of the Organ (MCO), Ministers from the SAMIM Personnel Contributing Countries, the SADC Executive Secretary and Head of the SADC Mission in Mozambique (SAMIM).
5. Summit noted the progress of SAMIM as presented by the Head of the SADC Mission in Mozambique, and commended SAMIM leadership, including men and women on the ground for their sacrifices and commitment to the fight against terrorists acts in some parts of Cabo Delgado Province.
6. Summit approved the transition of SAMIM from Scenario 6, (Rapid Deployment Capability) to Scenario 5 (Multidimensional Force), with a robust mandate.
7. Summit commended SAMIM Personnel Contributing Countries for their continued support by pledging capabilities and personnel to enhance the effectiveness of SAMIM operations, and urged Member States to continue supporting the mission.
8. Summit expressed its appreciation to the African Union (AU) and the International Cooperating Partners (ICP's) for the support towards stabilization of the security situation as well as the socio-economic recovery and development of Cabo Delgado Province.
9. Summit expressed solidarity with the Republics of Botswana, South Africa, Kingdom of Lesotho and the United Republic of Tanzania for the demise of soldiers serving the Mission, and expressed words of comfort for those wounded in action.
10. Summit commended the Republics of Zimbabwe and Malawi for the spirit of solidarity expressed through delivery of the pledged donation of foodstuff in support of Humanitarian assistance to the affected population of Cabo Delgado.
11. Summit directed the Head of Mission to coordinate with the Republic of Mozambique on the implementation of the comprehensive Integrated Reconstruction and Development Plan of Cabo Delgado.
12. Summit acknowledged the expression of gratitude by His Excellency Filipe Jacinto Nyusi, President of the Republic of Mozambique for SADC's continued support, collaboration and cooperation towards attainment of sustainable peace and security in the Cabo Delgado Province.
13. Summit commended His Excellency Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and the Chairperson of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation, for his leadership in steering the work of the Organ in pursuit of lasting peace, security and stability in the SADC region.
Issued at Pretoria, Republic of South Africa, 12th April, 2022