09/18/2021 | News release | Distributed by Public on 09/18/2021 04:37
Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) has finished Moto2™ Free Practice at the Octo Grand Prix of San Marino fastest, thanks to a 1:37.012. The rookie Spaniard had 0.195s to spare over namesake Augusto Fernandez (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) with KTM Ajo teammate and Championship leader Remy Gardner in P3.
The Q2 qualifiers
For the majority of the session, it was the Championship top four occupying the four fastest times, with Briton Sam Lowes (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) in P1 by the end of the first runs. Once riders came back out for the closing stages, Raul Fernandez, who is still riding with a pain in his right hand after surgery a fortnight ago, posted a time good enough to take top spot on the timesheets.
As the clock ticked down in the session, there was plenty of change in the timesheets, with Augusto Fernandez and Gardner both moving into the top three late on at the expense of Lowes. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly IntactGP) and Xavi Vierge (Petronas Sprinta Racing) both impressed to secure places inside the top six places also, while Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) couldn't improve on his P7 time.
Stefano Manzi (Fexbox HP40), Aron Canet (Inde Aspar Team) and Fabio Di Giannantonio (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) complete the top 10.
Who missed out?
Crashes for Jake Dixon (Petronas Sprinta Racing), Hector Garzo (Flexbox HP40) and Albert Arenas (Inde Aspar Team) meant that none of them could find the pace needed to challenge the top 14, while they will be joined in Q1 by the likes of Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) and Tony Arbolino (Liqui Moly Intact GP).
1. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:37.012
2. Augusto Fernandez (ELF Marc VDS Racing Team) + 0.195
3. Remy Gardner (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.233
4. Sam Lowes (ELF Marc VDS Racing Team) + 0.283
5. Marcel Schrotter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.342
6. Xavi Vierge (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.361
7. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.443
8. Stefano Manzi (Flexbox HP40) + 0.451
9. Aron Canet (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.467
10. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.470