11/17/2022 | News release | Distributed by Public on 11/17/2022 13:16
Today,our new taxi meter rates go into effect, providing a much-needed increase for taxi drivers. After extensive outreach, the SFMTA board passed an 18% increase in the taximeter rates - the first increase in 11 years. During this time, the cost of living in the Bay Area has risen considerably.
The new rates listed below will support an industry that is an integral part of our transportation system, especially for SF's paratransit program.
The new rates go into effect beginning Thursday, November 17:
To get a sense of what this increase will mean for an average rider, we show an estimate for a typical taxi trip.
Under the old rate structure, the average cost for a taxi ride was $16.04, which includes a 15% tip. Under the new approved structure, the average cost, including tip will be $18.98, or a $2.94 increase per trip. This increase goes directly to taxi drivers.
Impact on Paratransit Taxi Riders
Taxis have been an integral part of the SFMTA's paratransit program since the 1980's, and they provide an important mobility option for people with disabilities who are unable to use Muni. The SFMTA subsidizes 80% of the cost of paratransit taxi trips, and the paratransit taxi rider pays the remaining 20%. Paratransit taxi riders will see an increase of approximately $0.50 for an average paratransit taxi trip under the new meter rates. Paratransit taxi trips accounted for roughly 13% of all taxi trips in the last fiscal year.
Please contact [email protected]with any questions you may have about the new rates.