Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office

04/14/2024 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 04/14/2024 01:23

Israel travel advice

This travel advice covers Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPTs).

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).

Areas where advises against travel


advises against all travel to Gaza.

Areas near Gaza

advises against all travel to the area close to the border with Gaza that includes:

  • south-west of Ashkelon
  • south of route 35 and west of route 40 as far as Tlalim, not including Be'er Sheva
  • west of Be'er Sheva
  • north of route 211

The West Bank

advises against all travel to the West Bank, excluding East Jerusalem and Route 1 between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Northern Israel

advises against all travel to:

  • within 5km of the border with Lebanon - the Israeli military has announced that the area is a closed military zone and entry into the area is prohibited
  • the Sheba'a Farms and Ghajjar
  • within 500m of the border with Syria (the 'Alpha Line')
  • recently evacuated communities in northern Israel:
    • Beit Hillel
    • Dan
    • Eilon
    • Even Menachem
    • Goren
    • Granot Ha'Galil
    • HaGoshrim
    • Liman
    • Matsuva
    • Ramot Naftali
    • Sasa
    • She'ar Yeshuv
    • Snir
    • Tzivon

The rest of Israel and the

advises against all but essential travel to the rest of Israel and the .

Find out more about why advises against travel.

Conflict in Israel and the

On 7 October 2023 there was a large-scale terrorist attack by Hamas in southern Israel. Hamas continues to launch rockets into Israel and the Israeli Defence Forces are conducting significant military activity in Gaza.

There is also increased military activity by the Israeli Defence Forces around Gaza, within the West Bank and on Israel's northern border.

There are continued exchanges of rocket and small arms fire over Israel's northern border with Lebanon and a potential increase in rocket attacks and other incidents of violence across Israel and the , including the West Bank.

On 13 April 2024 Iran launched an attack against Israel, using UAVs, ballistic and cruise missiles fired from Iran into Israel.

We recognise this a fast-moving situation that poses significant risks. The situation has potential to deteriorate quickly and without warning. This could disrupt air and road links out of the country. If your reason to remain in Israel and the is not essential you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.

If you are in an area affected by the fighting, follow the instructions of Israeli Home Front Command. To find these:

The Israeli government has declared a state of emergency across the whole country. International borders (air and land) in Israel and the could close at short notice. Check the travel advice for any neighbouring country that you are planning to travel to or through.

Before travelling within Israel or the , check the local measures in place, that roads are open and, where appropriate, that scheduled train and bus services are operating.

Monitor this travel advice and other media as the situation is changing fast. Follow and contact travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

Read advice if you're affected by a crisis abroad.

Travel within or out of Israel or the is at your own risk. You are encouraged to follow the advice of local authorities, for example on which routes are open or when to take shelter.

Travelling to Egypt from Gaza

The Rafah border crossing continues to be open for controlled and time-limited periods to allow specific groups of foreign nationals, including British nationals, to cross. It is for the Egyptian and Israeli authorities to determine who is permitted to cross, and when. The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will contact embassies to let them know when their foreign nationals can cross. Should we receive notification from the Israeli and Egyptian authorities that individuals are permitted to cross, we will notify those people individually.

If you are a British national in Gaza who wants to leave Gaza, you should make contact with us as soon as possible.

If you are a UK visa holder who meets all of the following criteria, you can contact us to request support to leave Gaza:

  • you have a spouse/partner or a child aged 17 or under currently living in the UK; and
  • you hold valid permission to enter or remain in the UK for longer than 6 months

Contact by calling:

  • +44 176 766 7600 (UK number)
  • +972 (0)3 725 1222
  • +972 (0)2 541 4100

Movement to the Rafah crossing and beyond is at your own risk, and dependent on the permission of the Egyptian and Israeli authorities. You should only travel if you judge it is safe to do so. Check the Egypt travel advice.

Help and support in Israel and the

Contact your travel provider and your insurer. They will tell you if they can help and what you need to do.

Help from in Israel and the

Consular support is severely limited where advises against travel.

If you need consular assistance call:

  • +44 176 766 7600 (UK number)
  • +972 (0)3 725 1222
  • +972 (0)2 541 4100

Help from other organisations

Keep up to date with local travel advice through local news outlets and international outlets like the Access Coordination Unit.

Concern for friends and family

If you are in the UK and concerned about a friend or family member who is in Israel or the call on 020 7008 5000.

Before you travel

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide and any specific travel advice that applies to you:

Travel insurance

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.

About travel advice

provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about travel advice.

Follow and contact travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated.