08/22/2023 | Press release | Archived content
The way viewers engage with TV continues to change, as we customize the streaming platforms, networks, and shows we engage with to fit our specific interests and needs. With the first half of 2023 behind us, we are seeing the impact that this customization has on advertisers, as brands that explore return on ad spend (ROAS) benefits on Connected TV see real-life rewards. The insights from our H1 2023 State of Viewership report show that the omniscreen future is upon us. Advertisers who follow the data and tear down the silos between TV and the other content that audiences engage with will be well positioned to meet the needs of today and tomorrow.
Following are key tips and takeaways for marketers to apply to their 2023 strategy, and for a deeper dive download the full report.
1. Embrace new opportunities with FAST and SVOD ad-tiers to find audiences exactly where they are
The new opportunities to customize targeting approaches are endless: the final months of 2022 ushered in Netflix and Disney+ ad tiers, and Amazon Prime Video could be planning an ad-supported tier as well. Meanwhile, each of the major free ad-supported streaming television (FAST) platforms tracked year-over-year growth in viewership during 2023. With a staggering 96M U.S. households watching over-the-top (OTT) content and a third of streaming viewers subscribing to FAST platforms, advertisers must embrace these new platforms to tap into the growing cord cutting audiences.
2. Better manage frequency with OTT advertising
For years, linear has been oversaturating the same viewers with hundreds of ads. So far, 2023 has been no different, with half of TV viewers - those who consume the most linear TV - seeing the vast majority of ads (92%), while the other half of TV viewers are seeing just 8% of total ad impressions. OTT presents an alternative to this oversaturation, with more opportunities to manage frequency and thereby avoid ad fatigue. Advertisers should use this to their advantage by using TV data to target cord-cutters on their digital devices, as well as advertise on OTT inventory. These campaigns can be optimized by using comprehensive, omniscreen measurement to track performance.
3. Capitalize on binge culture as a way to reach captive audiences
When audiences can binge their shows as quickly as they want, they're more likely to finish the whole season. Over two-thirds of U.S. adults identify as binge-watchers, and those viewers turned out for the 2023 slate of bingeable shows, with over half of households that watched the top bulk-release shows of H1 2023 watching the whole season within the first five days. For advertisers, the takeaway is clear: bingeable shows with high audience retention means a captive way to reach consumers who will be home for a few hours and available to order delivery, shop online, and browse websites.
4. Drive real-life outcomes among Gen Z and millennials with calls-to-action
Mobile devices are never far from reach among younger generations, whether they are streaming shows on their phones or multitasking while the TV is on. This presents advertisers with exciting ways to drive measurable, business-based outcomes instantly, given the ease of acting on direct calls-to-action when a device is already in hand. Take it one step further and deploy an omnisreen approach that integrates new technologies like QR codes, which 1 in 5 millennials have used to make purchases through TV ads.
5. Keep diversity top of mind in both casting and choosing ad blocks
Data from the first half shows that diverse audiences overwhelmingly respond to diverse content, with Black, Hispanic, and Asian households all more likely to watch TV where they see themselves represented. Hispanic and Asian audiences alone represent 18% and 6% of the U.S. population, but are served just 15% and 4% of impressions. With a combined buying power of $3.6 trillion, advertisers can't afford to miss these currently under-reached audiences. Meanwhile, the vast majority of Gen Z values diversity in the TV they watch, flocking to Spanish-language networks on linear. When casting advertisements and shows, make sure you are keeping diversity top of mind so as to engage your audience at the deepest level possible. Furthermore, be sure to audit campaigns with measurement studies to ensure you're reaching your target demographic audiences proportionally and optimize accordingly.
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!